[Gnash-dev] Fwd: Re: [Gnash] Gnash cannot legally play animations create

From: Markus Gothe
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Fwd: Re: [Gnash] Gnash cannot legally play animations created with MM tools?
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:10:00 +0100

I fwd this email to Rasmus Fleischer, who was going to be one of the head speakers at EurOSCon (which Rob attended on) on IP-issues but he didn't had got the time at that momement.

Rsms: The EULA can be found here: http://www.adobe.com/products/eula/tools/

//Markus

Rob Savoye wrote:
Udo Giacomozzi wrote:

I understand Gnash developers all do constructive work and are no
lawyers, but I can't believe this. This would mean when I just
*install* the MM/Adobe tools (which implies I accept the EULA) I am

  One of the lawsuits I was involved in ate up 8 months of my time, and
was over the most amazingly stupid misunderstanding... and the entire
case dissolved eventually when they determined I had actually never done
what I was accused of at all, so there was no basis.

practically prohibited to contribute to the Gnash project?? I would
accept it that I may not use (in an active manner) the tools to do any
reverse-engineering. With other words, I cannot write test cases for
Gnash using the Adobe tools.

  Exactly. This has been the interpretation of the EULA for many free
Flash projects, probably because being extra careful is safest, and
nobody wanted to pay to have a lawyer to give them a real opinion. Me, I
just tracked down a lawyer, and we're going to try to get an official
decision from our end.

  If Adobe would speak up on this issue, it could save us time and
money... Do they truly support Open Source, or do they need to maintain
a monopoly through draconian licensing schemes ? I'd give them the
benefit of the doubt, based on past actions. But I sure would like to
know beyond the shadow of doubt...

So I would end up using a pirated copy of Flash just to avoid the
licence... ;)

  Exactly. To get screwed by doing the right thing is stupid. All we're
really doing in a way is making Flash more wide spread than it already
is by supporting platforms Adobe doesn't. They should be encouraging us. :-)

RS> Most of my other thoughts on this
RS> right now are all four letter words not suitable for a public email list.
You are not alone.

  It's times like this I hate the way the computer industry has gotten
with IP issues. More reason for projects like Gnash! My hope is that
with the release of Tamarin, Adobe isn't concerned about IP issues like
MacroMedia was. If this turns out to be true, it'll actually let more
people contribute to Gnash. We would have had to dealt with this issue
eventually, so it might as well be right now.

  Just to be clear, I totally appreciate the AGG contribution you made
to Gnash. It's been very fun to have Gnash running on my Sharp Zaurus
lately. :-) (screenshot at http://www.welcomehome.org/gnash/frog1.jpg)