Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Gnash extensions question

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Gnash extensions question
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:34:44 +0100

Hello John,

JG> To avoid a lot of startup overhead on every gnash startup, I suggest
JG> only looking for these extensions if or when someone invokes a class
JG> that isn't already defined.  I.e. turn an error into a "look for
JG> extensions".

What about explicitly loading extensions with an ActionScript call?
After all, these are extensions and a Flash developer is aware that it
won't work in the original Flash player. Something like the "dl"
function of php: http://php.net/dl

BTW, when you search around for Gnash discussions you will find many
Flash developers actually *concerned* because of Gnash. They fear
having different players will make development more difficult. With a
single Flash player one can be sure that a movie works everywhere when
it works in the own player (as opposed to HTML where you have to test
it with a bunch of browser combinations).
As a Flash developer I can understand this, but I'd say one should
write clean code instead of don't-know-exactly-why-but-it-works code.
So, Gnash actually can help finding errors during development and
avoid bugs right from the start.
It all goes to prove that it's important that Gnash targets maximum
compatibility, starting from a fixed-ratio centered player image up to
ActionScript deviations.

I'm a big friend of the extension mechanism (have great uses for it,
for example direct file system access). However, I think we should be
careful with it. It is a great thing for embedded devices, for sure.
But it may a "problem" for web browser plugins when Gnash has more
classes that the original Adobe player has. Would not like to see
things like "This site is best viewed at XxY pixels, Gnash plugin and
extension Foo"...

Udo