Re: [Gnash-dev] Trying to run the tests

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Trying to run the tests
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 19:27:05 +0100

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 10:29:02PM +0100, ann wrote:
> Hi Sandro,
>
> As you requested, I tried to go through 'Running the tests'.  First I had
> a few problems with getting Gnash to compile (automatically finding the
> include libraries wasn't going well), but then I was able to use 'gmake
> check', which gives me the results which appear at the end of the message.
>
> It looks like it wants ming.h.  I only installed the dejagnu port, because
> earlier it says that Ming is required for the test generator, not the test
> runner.  Did I misunderstand, or is the documentation incorrect?

Eh.. hard to say... needs some discussion I think.
One option is that we require Ming for CVS and not for a release.
In any case Ming should *not* be a requirement for *building* gnash itself,
just to run *some* testcases.

Where Ming is not found, *some* testcases (those not requiring
Ming) could run anyway, but this is debatable, as would bring to different
results on different hosts. BTW, a fix in Ming for 'asm' blocks compiling
introduces another possible test output difference as we might be running
tests requiring 'asm' build only on hosts with a recent-enough Ming release.

> Dejagnu.c:29:18: ming.h: No such file or directory

I'm sure we want Dejagnu.swf distributed in a release, as it might be useful
for anyone willing to provide testcases compiled with other compilers.
Dejagnu.c is the source that generates Dejagnu.swf using Ming...

All subsequent errors are due to the fact you don't have Ming installed.

Well, a quick suggestion for you is to get Ming :)
Another possibility is to grab a "release snapshot", but I'm afraid
we're not currently providing them. I suggest we do though...
a nightly snapshot in "release" mode would likely be helpful.