Re: [Gnash-dev] release criteria ?

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] release criteria ?
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 09:58:20 -0600

Tomas Groth wrote:

> Actually GStreamer support is mostly working at this point. But it might be
> difficult to watch video without ffmpeg anyway, since there are very few h.263
> decoding plugins for gstreamer out there. Actually as far as i know there are
> only gst-ffmpeg and a non-free (in both the beer and freedom way) plugin made
> by fluendo.

 I didn't think Fluendo has an FLV decoder other than by using
gst-ffmpeg. So I guess we're stuck with ffmpeg for the release anyway.
The whole proprietary codec issue is such a pain in the A$%#&^#... So
nobody will be able to play any video files in a Flash movie using Gnash
without installing ffmpeg, and non-free decoders. :-( I'm sure Adobe
would be pleased, as this one issue pretty much prevents any FOSS
distribution from shipping a free Flash player like Gnash with working
video. I think MP3 audio is the only legal codec in Gstreamer we can
even use.