Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] sprite_instance::restart() and properties

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] sprite_instance::restart() and properties
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:21:50 +0200

Hello strk,

>> I *think* it should restore the state of the character in which it was
>> after creation (or after it has been placed on a display list).

s> Does this mean also calling onLoad and onConstruct events ?
s> What about frame init actions ?

million dollar question...
as long restart() is intended to be the same as destroy/create, then
yes.

s> Why not really recreating it ?

probably to avoid useless re-initialisation of the character.
don't know if there really is any (any useless I mean)

s> Do we need to retain syntetized instance names ?

in case of buttons: no
but again, restart() may be designed for other purposes!

>> This is how the button instance seems to work. However, this is just
>> my assumption and I can't document that function before someone else
>> confirms it.

s> I can describe what the function does, but I'm not sure it makes sense,
s> we're not reverse engeneering Gnash itself :)

does it come from gameswf? somebody must have created this beast after
all

>> s> If it is only for the GUI we're likely not sufficiently cleaning up.
>> s> If it's for the buttons, we're cleaning too much.
>>
>> What do you mean with "for the GUI" ??

s> I used ::restart for the GUI menu item MovieControl->Restart.
s> Might be a completely wrong thing to do and we might instead
s> remove the top-level movie and recreate from scratch instead.

which *maybe* has the same effect...

note there is no such command in the propriertary player (rewind does
*not* destroy variables)

Udo