[Gnash-dev] offline youtube profiling (ogl vs. agg)

From: strk
Subject: [Gnash-dev] offline youtube profiling (ogl vs. agg)
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 10:17:21 +0200

In order to reduce entropy introduced by network connection I tried
profiling a run fully offline.
See http://www.gnashdev.org/wiki/index.php/YouTube#Full_off-line_testing

With this setup, I compared ogl and agg by only looking at the CPU usage,
w/out using gprof which seems a bit overcomplex for this kind of profiling.

Visually (looking at top and at the system monitor), I can tell that AGG
uses less CPU (~40%) while opengl uses more (~70%).

In common, probably due to a bug in the NetStream/NetConnection/LoaderThread
things they have the CPU usage jump at 100% when the movie ends.

gprof reports are confusing, reporting more time spent in matrix transformation
for ogl and more time spent in AGG rendering for AGG. I'll need further research
to find out (maybe ogl calls are fully hardware-based on my system..)