[Gnash-dev] post-release task item: removing threads use

From: strk
Subject: [Gnash-dev] post-release task item: removing threads use
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 15:03:31 +0200

Ok, we're busing shipping 0.8.0 now, but after that I'm seriously
thinking about dropping thread use.

By providing a "tick" call (see
http://www.gnashdev.org/wiki/index.php/MovieAdvancement)
and making reads non-blocking we might have all parsers/loaders push more data
in the buffers *when available* and the playhead advance *when possible*.

This would remove the burdens of threads debugging and complex design.
Also, we wouldn't need locks anymore.

Only downside would be not using more CPUs when available, but if the
interfaces are correctly designed any library *user* will be able to
dispatch the "tick" calls between multiple threads (more thought woulb
be required to inspect this).

Not really a good time to discuss this, anyway here's the thought.
Will come back to this after release is closed.
Opened this task as a reminder:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/task/index.php?6960

--strk;

 ()   ASCII Ribbon Campaign