Re: [Gnash-dev] First stab at fixing an OpenGL bug

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] First stab at fixing an OpenGL bug
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 08:59:38 +0200

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 06:41:18PM -0400, Quinn Storm wrote:
..
> the trouble I'm running into with the bug I was trying to tackle is pretty
> simple.  OpenGL expects an essentially volatile rendering pattern, with only
> transient framebuffers, while gnash expects to render to a semi-permanent
> framebuffer that will stick around until changed...and short of doing a
> back-to-front copy every time anything is submitted to render (any line or
> trimesh), I can't find a way to solve this

A solution would be for OpenGL backend to draw into an offscreen buffer
and copy that to screen. Depending on GUI it could be done in different ways.
For X-based guis, we might use a pixmap. X also has a "backing store"
capability,
but is not ensured to work. Anyway using a pixmap still has the advantage of
more
control over what's copied.

We have two sets of invalidated bounds in gnash: one is the bound of invalidated
regions due to playback, another is the bound of invalidated regions due to
expose events. The renderer would render in the off-screen buffer only the
playback-invalidated bounds, and from pixmap to on-screen only the
expose-invalidated
bounds would be copied.

Does it sound ?