[Gnash-dev] device fonts

From: strk
Subject: [Gnash-dev] device fonts
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:54:56 +0200

Subject: device fonts

You might have noticed a few commits for device fonts support.
Here's a summary of what's missing/which problems arise.

(1) Bitmaps vs. vectors

Current implementation only supports creating a bitmap for
a device font glyph. This turns out to be unsupported by
AGG renderer, and not nicely working with OGL.
For a quick test, just implement the FreetypeRasterizer::getFontFilename
method by having it return a custom filename.

We should decide if it's worth fixing the bugs with OGL and core
*and* to implement draw_bitmap for AGG or focus on creating
vectorial glyphs instead. Vectorial glyphs are basically
shape_character_def so in order to support them we should convert
the freetype glyph to a shape character. Drawing primitive are
about ready (there for Drawing API) so we'd just need to find
out how to perform conversion (libfreetype seems to support it).

(2) Font names => filename mapping

Gameswf (the current implementation being a port and cleanup of)
only implements this for windows. I belive freetype2 lib to have
interfaces for both win32 and mac OSs, but none for unix-like systems.
My current bet is to use fontconfig for the latter, but any comment
is really welcome.

(3) freetype lib or pango ?

A completely different approach would be dropping libfreetype and
focus on a pango implementation. Pango would give us complete
operating system abstraction, but I really dunno all the details
given the lack of documentation for it (no tutorial around).
What I understood is that pango is supposedly GUI-agnostic, but
primarly used by GTK, reccommended as an interface to it.

--strk;

 ()   ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 /\   Keep it simple!