Re: [Gnash-dev] Compilation trouble on Windows with MSVC

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Compilation trouble on Windows with MSVC
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:38:00 -0600

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 01:24:17PM -0600, Eric Hughes wrote:

> It's not elegant at all--downright ugly, in fact.  But short of rewriting
> the whole autoconf system so that it can output both makefiles and Visual
> Studio project file based on abstractions that don't yet exist within that
> system, it's easier to duplicate effort and provide parallel support.

  When using VC++, you won't use autotools. Autotools will only be used when
using the Mingw32 compiler. Making autoconf geneate VC++ files isn't gonna
happen... While it's good to be able to use VC++, I prefer using Mingw32 as
our primary compiler for win32, mostly because it can run as a cross compiler.
Gnash was built with VC++ for many years, so it's not a huge problem.

  That said, as our web site states, we don't really consider Gnash
suitable for win32 folks just yet. It's been a huge amount of work to get
video working, and all the other improvements to Gnash we've made. Now that
the release has gone out, we'll be paying more attention to win32 and Darwin
support, but we aren't there yet. People that want to use Gnash pon those
platforms are going to just have to wait till we get there... or donate the
code that gets us there.

  Better win32 support is on the roadmap for this summer, so please have
patience.