Re: [Gnash-dev] intrusive_ptr and GC

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] intrusive_ptr and GC
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:45:50 +0200

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 07:19:00AM -0600, Eric Hughes wrote:

> After all this, there's now a split between the underlying class, the one
> that's going to be in GC for the long term, and that class with an
> explicitly-added reference count, to allow legacy code to continue to
> function.  The magic happens because intruded_class can interact with GC,
> generically, in ways that individual class would not be considered to.
>
> I have no idea how useful this idea may be to you, but it does address in
> some way (I'll assume not the right way) one of the problems you mentioned

We already have a split. GcResource is the base class for GC-managed pointers
while ref_counted is the base class for RC-managed ones.

Note that the priority for memory management has lowered since the GC vesion
is not on by default and working fine (I've no not knowledge of failing cases
and performance is comparable).

Rather then going deep on the GC I'd rather fix the existing bugs first.
Again, all these toughts are worth recording on the MemoryManagement page
for future reference.