Re: [Gnash-dev] Architecture docs?

From: Markus Gothe
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Architecture docs?
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:52:14 +0200

You could also buy the book from lulu.com

//Markus

On 14 Sep, 2007, at 19:05 , strk wrote:

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 09:49:10AM -0600, Jeremy Slade wrote:
Are there any developer docs for introducing the overall architecture & code organization for gnash? I haven't seen it in the bit of docs I've
looked at so far -- maybe I just haven't looked in the right place?

Take note, and please paste to the wiki for future reference:

Everything starts with movie_root class, which is what can be considered "the stage". Kick-start is given by movie_root::setRootMovie() which takes an instance of a top-level movie definition, constructs it and process any action queued by the
construction process.

From now on, the movie_root is "advanced" at regular intervals (FPS) by the Gui.

Advancement of the movie_root happens by advancing in turn any character which registered
itself to a global list of characters that are willing to "advance".

This "advance" step updates the state of the current movie, so that calls to movie_root::display call the currently registered renderer all the calls needed to properly obtain the final bitmap
image you see on the screen.

At arbitrary times, the Gui can also notify the movie_root about user events such as key
presses and mouse movements/clicks.

That's pretty much it for a start, feel free to ask more questions, and make sure
you take note on the wiki ! :)