Re: [Gnash-dev] (off-topic) Free the webkinz (was 0.8.2 status & OLPC)

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] (off-topic) Free the webkinz (was 0.8.2 status & OLPC)
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 02:05:50 +0000

On 12/01/2008, Zeth Green <address@hidden> wrote:

> However, I think the solution is not for Gnash or the OLPC to support these
> proprietary
> virtual pets, but to provide free software virtual pets, preferably using
> Etoys,
> Python or Gnash

+1

> so that it will be consistent with the OLPC system. Perhaps it could be some
> kind of
> educational activity, e.g. teaching some basic issues about animal welfare,
> veterinary studies, biology, etc.
>
> It could be far cooler than webkins as it could use the mesh networking so
> all the virtual pets
> could meet each other and interact (fight?, reproduce?, spread infections?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatures_(artificial_life_program) was
similar to this and very advanced (well, in the mid 1990s, I have no
idea how elite AI for 2008 vintage computer games is now :-) but it
doesn't even have to be all that complex to be compelling for kids -
given the billions of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamagotchi sold to
date :-)

Probably the best networking feature is, as you say, a "battle"
feature that works on simple http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Trumps
mechanics and allows players to breed with others' avatars to get
better.

There are tonnes of simple games I remember from the old ZX Spectrum
and Commodore 64 days that were hugely addictive^W^W wonderful to
play. http://lab6.com/sfcave/ is an all time favorite from when I was
a kid in high school and one of us had our Dad's old Palm.

I was too young for a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcode_Battler but
using the funky analog input features potentially available from the
microphone would be awesome.