Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash 0.8.2 on OLPC XO?

From: Dossy Shiobara
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash 0.8.2 on OLPC XO?
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 11:27:38 -0400

On 2008.04.05, Hubert Figuiere <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 11:13 -0400, Dossy Shiobara wrote:
> > Just out of curiousity, has anyone gotten a price quote for what
> > licensing of the core necessary codecs would cost?  i.e., could we
> > ship a "free" Gnash without the codecs, and a separate "non-free"
> > Gnash that includes the codecs that we would pay royalties on, and
> > simply pass-through the royalty costs to the end user?
>
> It is not compatible with GPLv3 licensing.
>
> Free is meant as "Libre" not "Gratis"

How is it incompatible?  The source is out there.  Folks can build it on
their own.  The issue is the redistribution of the resulting binaries
that include encumbered code.

My suggestion is that some organization legally redistribute those
resulting binaries (the sources are all already available, to satisfy
the GPLv3) securing the appropriate licenses to do so.

Am I still misguided here?  Would this still not be compatible with the
GPL?  The GPL requirement is that all the sources and/or modification to
the sources be made available for the binaries (which, they already
are).

-- Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara              | address@hidden | http://dossy.org/