Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: 2nd try: How can Internet Archive flash script pick

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: 2nd try: How can Internet Archive flash script pick codec to use?
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:59:02 +0200

To recap, we have two proposals for implementation-agnostic
advertisement of media capabilities:

1) John's proposal

  Extend interface with:
    System.capabilities.videoDecoderTypes=<array>
    System.capabilities.audioDecoderTypes=<array>
    System.capabilities.videoEncoderTypes=<array>
    System.capabilities.audioEncoderTypes=<array>

2) Benjamin's proposal (Otte)

  Extend interface with:
    System.capabilities.freeFormatSupport=<level_number>

I personally think John's proposal would be more accurate
as there's not necessarely an agreement about what a 'free
format' is (see community comments on the wiki).

A known problem is with standardization of codec names.

Another problem I'd like to point out is capability GST
has to load plugins on-demand. That might mean you don't
necessarely know what gnash is able to decode until you
try to load a plugin from the network.  This might be solved
by exposing a method rather then an array of supported media.
Actually, a method might also kind of solve the standardization
of codec names. Take this example (ActionScript):

        if ( System.capabilities.supportsDecoding("theora") ) ...
        if ( System.capabilities.supportsDecoding("libtheora") ) ...
        if ( System.capabilities.supportsEncoding("libtheora") ) ...
        if ( System.capabilities.supportsFormat("OGG") ) .. ) ...
        if ( System.capabilities.supportsFormat("ogg") ) .. ) ...

Using a method would save us generating a huge list and let
us solve the different names by using a table of aliases, and
also let us try to load required plugins (maybe, I'm not a GST guy).