Re: [Gnash-dev] Hi from swftools.org

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Hi from swftools.org
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 19:42:14 +0200

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:38:06AM +0800, Tom Stellard <address@hidden> wrote:
> Alright! A real AS3.0 compiler would be great.  Right now Gnash uses
> Haxe for testing AVM2, which is OK, but not nearly as good for testing
> as a real compiler.  How much progress have you made on the AS3.0
> compiler?

Lexer+Yaccer are finished, Bytecode/Abcfile library too. Right
now I'm walking the AST.

Converting syntax to bytecode seems to be mostly straightforward
(as the opcodes are all pretty high-level). A variable
allocation/mapping strategy is needed though, unlike with AS2.

I guess a first version which can do basic stuff like expression
evaluation, class definitions, functions, function calls etc.
will be finished in a few weeks. Syntactical sugar like the inline XML
stuff, regular expressions etc. might take a while longer.

Greetings

Matthias