Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Fwd: FLTK GUI

From: Tonko Juricic
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Fwd: FLTK GUI
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 21:56:54 -0500

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 7:36 PM, strk <address@hidden> wrote:
> Makes probably perfect sense to comment it out, so is not a bug :)

I think that the second line of arial_font_problem.swf should be
displayed in some font, whatever it turns out to be. Because I see
some fonts displayed (Helevtica in the first line of abovementioned
swf) Freetype renderer must be working. Would I otherwise be able to
see any text in Gnash? From what I read Agg's 'native font support'
gets font glyph outlines using Win32 API, after Windows has found a
font file that it thinks matches the request. In contrast I guess
Freetype is able to analyze the font file itself to get the outlines,
so the only issue that may concern us here is which one provides
better/faster renderer.

Now I put in gnashconfig.h :

#define DEFAULT_FONTFILE "c:\\timesi.ttf"

and this time I copied this TTF file from Agg site and stored it in my
C drive root.

I do get the second line to display, albeit in Times New Roman Italic
font. IMO this is so much better than not displaying anything.

I have an impression that strk would prefer a programmatic way of
figuring out some existing font file path, that would work on all
Windows OS versions, as opposed to distributing one font file and
installing it at known location.

This font path is hard-coded in source so I'm curious what happens on
Linux systems? I mean you don't open and edit executable file and
change the string during some font config phase?