Re: [Gnash-dev] Operational problem

From: Willy Gommel
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Operational problem
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:05:23 -0800

On Tuesday 23 December 2008, Rob Savoye wrote:

> Willy Gommel wrote:
> > I first realized that I was getting no sound via any Flash file about a
> > month ago. At first I tried enlisting the tech support of Adobe, which
> > proved ineffective. Now, I need to try you.
>
>   Just to ask, is this a problem with the Adobe player or Gnash ? :-)
> Various versions of the Adobe player had issues with PulseAudio, which
> is now the default for most distributions.

Actually, right now it's with both of them.

They sent me to http://www.linux.com/feature/54218 .

> > softare installs and works, so far as I know -- at least the test file I
> > have been using displays the silent video, as did the Adobe product.
>
>   Which version of Gnash on which distribution ? Did you build Gnash
> from source, or use a package ?

Oop;s -- sorry. I should have mentioned this. I'm using Debian and installed
their package for Testing. The installation system describes it as being
version 0.8.4-2.

> > So my question is simple: What might I have missed in, e.g., the kernel
> > set-up? How can I get my sound card to actually deliver PCM sound to the
> > speakers from a Flash file?
>
>   Flash audio is MP3, so for Gnash, you probably need to install ffmpeg
> or the ffmpeg-gstreamer plugin, which is where the codec support code
> lives.
>
>   So you've tested your machine, and you can play MP3 music with xmms or
> rhythmbox or whatever ? When using Gnash, does the right click menu show
> that sound is enabled or disabled ?

Yes, I have no problem playing MP3 files at all, using, e.g., Kaffeine.

Gnash's right-click menu has a checkmark next to Sound, which I presume means
it's enabled. N.B.: When attempting to play a sound-only file, such as a news
item from NPR, the problem is that the item never begins and, consequently,
never finishes.

>       - rob -

Thanks again very much, Rob! I do indeed appreciate this.

--
                                                                  www.wg3.net