Re: [Gnash-dev] using gnash plugin to playing embedded flash video

From: Nevo
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] using gnash plugin to playing embedded flash video
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 23:39:45 +0800

hi Torsten:
   Many thanks for your suggest, however ,since I have  somehow limited knowledge into Flash, so I may have further questions below :).
The flash movie you see on a site with the video embedded is not just a
generic video player (as the Windows Media or Real Player browser
plugins are bascially) which receive a playlist from somewhere, then
goes for it and play it.

A flash movie (IMO the term is again a bit misleading) should rather be
considered a binary executable which runs in a VM which is comparable in
the complexity of application logic it supports to a full blown Java VM.

You mean FLV file is a binary executable ? Sorry, when I look into here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLV), I assume a typical embedded video in a video site will usually use two parts to accomplish video delivery , one part is the player itself ,which is usually a SWF file ,which in turn the Gnash has to interpret , and the other part is the video itself ,usually "flv" file, which can be referred to from the construction of url during those ActionScript execution (just like I asked previously). From the debug output of Youtube video, I could see such a Flash method as "get_videoUrl", which I think is what I want to acquire. So, could you elaborate more on what you referred "binary executable" here ,so I can clarify if I miss something .
Dependent on what ideas the developer of a flash based video site had,
the ActionScript code can be as simple as one statement which says "play
this URL, please" or it can do whatever magic to load and parse some XML
config from the net, create an authenticated session on the video
server, etc. The actual URL which is being played does not even have to
be anywhere inside the .swf file at all, but it may be loaded
dynamically from the net.

  Yes, exactly what my original thought is . We cannot tell how the ActionScript code will be like for all video host sites, right ?
Having said that: Even if you found the URL which is being played, there
is no guarantee that you can just call up that URL from any client and
it will play at all. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't.

  Have you studied the reason ?  I have encountered such a case last week, it just return "Unauthorized" though the URL looked okay (I extracted the URL from some website).
The only way to make this work in 99,9% of all cases will unfortunately
indeed by to implement all unimplemented tags which you come across. I
am looking at this as well currently as my time permits.

Re development version, please also check this:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnash-dev/2009-02/msg00070.html

What I mean is the AVM2 branch. I have no idea yet how this might be
different from the "normal" development version (trunk) but what I found
is: It has different (not less, but different) unimplemented warnings in
my case.

O,great! Im now checking out the trunk code to try the development version first. (And just saw the email from Strk , told that trunk should be better being merged into avm2 branch).
I hope I'll find the time to hack the code a bit. I already looked at
libcore/vm for that; I am lacking some AS3 basics, unfortunately.

 Aha, I'd appreciate your help if you have some progress ,or even I can help if necessary .

Nevo schrieb:

hi!
Im recently using gnash (latest stable) as my FF flash plugin to play
embedded flash video ,and I knew that it would probably not work for all
video site ,but it is indeed open source ,free to read and learn. I did
try youtube, which worked quite well for part of its videos . But not
work for "tudou.com",something like "UNIMPLEMENTED: xxxxxx" or "ERROR:
Parsing exception: premature end of tag" was thrown out, so player
didn't proceed to connect to the actually video.
Actually, my question here is not how to solve those kind of errors or
unimplements right away, instead, is that is there any general or
standard procedure to follow to bypass those runtime error during
interpreting of SWF player ActionScripts and directly construct the url
for the real flash video file and do request for the file . The question
can be simply put as how flash plugin works to construct the real flash
video url on the fly ? I mean how the flash plugin is able to locate the
final real flash video file if the input url is actually a
representation for a html page ? Is there any specification or standard
for that ,or it is just controlled completely by ActionScripts that we
cannot skip to compute the real video url?
Hope my question is described to be understandable. If anyone has
different opinion or any suggest, I would much appreciate that. Thanks
for your help.

Nevo
Best Regards