Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: performance: 1000 wakeups/sec when idle!

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: performance: 1000 wakeups/sec when idle!
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 14:54:39 +0200

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 02:02:57PM +0200, strk wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 03:32:54PM +0400, Yuriy Kaminskiy wrote:

> > This is not right at all. Unless you have running timer (and no timer
> > run in paused mode), you should not set timeout in poll() at all
> > (something like poll(nfd, fds, -1)); or, at least, set it way higher.
>
> Any chance to also find the spot in gnash calling poll() ?
> Also, which movie was gnash running during your strace calls ?

Ok, I gave it a try and found out that GTK timer still runs
in paused mode. Only the operation invoked at the earth-beating
time is a no-op (see Gui::advanceMovie).

Could be improved by uing the stopHook/startHook calls.

Still, that timer has a 10ms delay, so should result at most
in 100 wakeups per second. Could still be improved by setting
next callback only when really needed, asking for it to the
movie_root (not implemented yet for SWF timers, implemented
for timeline advance requirements).

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!