[Gnash-dev] Implementing ExternalInterface

From: Jonathan Crider
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Implementing ExternalInterface
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:25:03 -0600

So here is my other big question about implementation stuff. I have been looking at the ExternalInterface class which allows swf files to make calls to its container (web page, standalone player).

I am trying to figure out how gnash communicates or can communicate with the outside world. For instance how can I make a JavaScript call from the gnash player and vice versa?

Ben mentioned on irc:
Because we still fork and exec, a pipe is the most likely option.
Otherwise we reimplement the plugin to run windowless, which needs more work on making the core libs properly reentrant.

So the next question is should I look into implementing some kind of pipe, or possibly redoing the plugin? I guess this would be a lot of work either way (maybe too much for a lowly intern :o). Seems like it might be interesting work anyway. Any help or opinions will be most welcome.

Jon