[Gnash-dev] Alchemy and Theora

From: Benjamin M. Schwartz
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Alchemy and Theora
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:10:31 -0400

Dear Gnash Developers,

There is some interest among the Theora developers in producing a Theora
decoder in Actionscript, to run inside Adobe's Flash plugin.  The obvious
way to do this is to use Adobe's Alchemy to translate the reference
decoder from C.  The translated code will produce YUV video data as
output.  The difficulty, then, is wrapping this functionality into a
complete working video player.  For example, I don't see any documented
API to provide an external YUV source for the VideoPlayer class.

What is the best way to produce a Theora player in Flash/Actionscript?  Is
there some un(der)documented API that would allow us to drop a new codec
into the built-in player? What about a fake Camera class?  Is there an
existing player in ActionScript that we can copy wholesale?

I should mention that whatever code we produce would probably never run on
Gnash anyway.  Instead, the player SWF would presumably autodetect Gnash's
built-in Theora support and use that instead.

Thanks,
Ben

P.S. I am not totally crazy to believe that this is possible.  Adobe
themselves have published an Ogg Vorbis decoder implemented in this fashion:
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Alchemy:Libraries