[Gnash-dev] Re: Configure the browser plugin to not print messages to st

From: Petter Reinholdtsen
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: Configure the browser plugin to not print messages to stdout/stderr?
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 18:34:35 +0100

[Rob Savoye]
> Klash is built for kde4, btw. When you say "installed in parallel",
> you mean as an upgrade for an existing installed gnash package ?

I mean by trying to install mozilla-plugin-gnash and
konqueror-plugin-gnash together.

> Sticking with 0.8.4 is completely silly, as we've made huge changes
> since then. For example, with 0.8.4, most video sites won't work at
> all anymore.

Well, given that we lack the man-power to maintain our own set of
gnash packages (to ensure timely bug and security fixes for the
duration of the Debian Edu/Lenny lifetime), it is the best option.
The alternative is to drop Gnash completely from the default build and
ask schools to install the Adobe Flash packages if they need Flash.
Those that need more sites to work than those working with Gnash, will
have to install Adobe Flash anyway.

Several of our test sites as listed on <URL:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/FlashInDebianEdu > do not work as
they should with gnash, and until they do it is hard for schools to
use only free software.  I really hope Gnash reach that point soon,
preferably in time for Debian/Squeeze. :)

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen