Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash replacement to Adobe flash Lite

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash replacement to Adobe flash Lite
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 08:33:37 -0700

Indrajeet Gajanan wrote:

>> I want to know whether Gnash player can be used for these devices.
>> Whether someone has tried to port the Gnash player to any Embedded
> devices as replacement to Adobe Flash Lite.

  Gnash star6ed it's life running on embedded devices, and we've done
"ports" to several devices like the Sharp Zaurus, OpenMoko, Android, etc...

> We want port the Gnash player to our embedded device  can you just tell
> me-

  You  seem to ask this monthly, are our answers getting b;locked somehow ?

> What are the system/hardware consideration required to port the gnash
> player to an embedded devices.

  It depends on what you want to do. I've run Gnash on as low as 200Mhz
processors, but it could only handle simple animations. around 400Mhz
you can start to handle video (if you have to do software rendering),
but it won't be great. Add hardware acceleration support, then video
works much better. Without trying to do YouTube, most animations, user
interfaces, etc... work fine on anything past 400Mhz.

  There is lots of room for optimizing Gnash, we haven't had the time or
funding to do it.