Re: [Gnash-dev] vaapi update

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] vaapi update
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 11:31:30 -0700

I noticed the results of XOrg meeting about video support here:

  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2009-November/048182.html

Their draft schedule was:

 * End of January: release new versions of Cairo and Pixman that
contain the new APIs reuired by GStreamer
 * End of March: X server and Mesa releases are due - make sure the
required Mesa extension is part of this. Ideally XrenderPutImage would
be included, too.
 * April/May, after next Fedora/Ubuntu releases: Merge Cairo support
into gst-plugins-base and start porting elements to it. Encourage
application developers (browser, Flash players) to make use of the new
APIs
 * October: another Fedora/Ubuntu release that switches all users to
the new APIs

I don't know how this is going, but it's April/May and have we heard
any encouragement for our Flash player to make use of a new video
rendering API for gstreamer?

> I've updated the versions of libva and vdpau to the latest snapshot
> (available in our repository), and now trunk is working reasonably well.
> At least on my test system (nvidia) I can do HD 720p at about 50-60% cpu
> load. This is with AGG, OpenGL is about half of that...

Is there a wiki page that tells relatively clueless people like me
exactly how to run current snapshots on their production Linux system?

        John