[Gnash-dev] Configuring gnash trunk in Ubuntu 10.04

From: John Gilmore
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Configuring gnash trunk in Ubuntu 10.04
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 18:37:55 -0700

"./configure" says:

        Top level for cross compiling support files is:

and then nothing else.  Maybe it should say "(none)"?

        GUI toolkits supported: qt4,kde4,gtk
        Renderers supported: OpenGL AGG Cairo

Seems like we should be consistent with these two -- either commas, or
no commas.  Don't we need commas in the corresponding --something= argument?

It says:

        Hardware Acceleration: XVideo

I thought the only hardware accel we supported was vaapi.  Was I confused?

        WARNING: You need to have 'swfc' from SWFTools installed
                 to run some of the tests in Gnash testsuite.
                 You can install it from http://www.swftools.org/
                 or .deb users: apt-get install swftools
        WARNING: you need as3compile from SWFTools
                 to run some of the tests in Gnash testsuite.
                 You can install it from http://www.swftools.org/

"apt-get install swftools" doesn't work in Ubuntu 10.04.  And as3compile
is built from the same package, but isn't installable by apt-get?

        WARNING: You need to have csound installed
                 to have real fun.

Hm, what fails if the user doesn't have it?  Can we be more specific
than "real fun"?

I was also surprised to see it claim:

        Using sdl for sound handling

I thought SDL was long dead.

After installing most of the things configure asked for, I reran it, and got
(note the odd formatting after "report the warnings as a bug"):

        WARNING: you need as3compile from SWFTools
                 to run some of the tests in Gnash testsuite.
                 You can install it from http://www.swftools.org/

Gnash should still compile even with these warnings.
If it doesn't, report the warnings as a bug.

                        Install gstreamer-plugins-base from
http://www.gstreamer.net
                        or .rpm users: yum install gstreamer-plugins-base-devel
                        or .deb users: apt-get install
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev

Gnash should still compile, but you'll miss important support

        ERROR: No KDE 4.x development package installed!
               To disable the KDE 4.x gui,
               reconfigure using --enable-gui=<list-of-guis>
               and omit kde from the list.
               When the option --enable-gui=... is omitted,
               the default is the same of --enable-gui=kde,gtk
               To be able to build the kde 4.x gui,
               install version 4.x of the KDE development environment from
http://kde.org
               or .deb users: apt-get install kdelibs5-dev
               or .rpm users: yum install kdelibs-devel.
configure: error: Please install required packages
address@hidden:~/src/gnash-cputime/trunk$

It had never asked for libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev before.  It
should ask you to install that at the same time it asks for the
initial gstreamer-dev files.  And there seems to be no proper
"heading" for that warning section.

ALso, to fix the English, replace in the KDE section "the default is
the same of --enable-gui=kde,gtk" with "the default is
--enable-gui=kde,gtk".

Hmm, when I tried turning on --enable-docbook, it wanted me to download
about 4 hours' worth of stuff using apt-get.  I declined.

        John