[Gnash-dev] ExternalEventCheck selects w/100us timeout

From: John Gilmore
Subject: [Gnash-dev] ExternalEventCheck selects w/100us timeout
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 20:55:38 -0700

I'm poking into the cause of CPU time going to 100% while running gnash.
I posted some hints a week or two ago, but nobody followed up on them,
so I'm seeing if there's something simple that I can fix.

I'm having trouble figuring out why ExternalEventCheck is polling with
select() and a very short timeout every time around the movie_root
loop to see if a browser wants to talk to it over a file descriptor.

Shouldn't this file descriptor be included in the global select or
poll arguments that determine whether ANY I/O or timeout is ready?
There should be zero need to poll this file descriptor.

Fixing this will eliminate a bunch of the CPU burning in current
trunk.  However, since this code appears to be new since 0.8.7, it
won't fix the CPU burning behavior of gnash, all by itself.

        John