Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: SIGPIPE handling

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: SIGPIPE handling
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 20:50:46 -0700

> I don't know if can help (and/or is related), but i've found another swf
> that produce here the strange CPU bug that raise the CPU value to 100%
> from 80% (for example)
> Basically the movie swf load game data from internet and starts with cpu
> at 80%. But when the movie download the data, the cpu increase its usage
> til it reach 100% and the system became inusable.
> When it download the data and the game starts, the cpu lower its usage
> also to 10-15%.

There are still tons of crazy performance bugs in gnash.  I identified
a problem in movie loading just before the last release (due to tiny
timeouts making tasks switch uselessly) but my fix wasn't stable and
I haven't had time to fix it up yet.

I assume your bug happens on Amiga rather than on Linux?  Or does the same
swf have this effect on both platforms?

If you have gprof, run gnash under it and then look at the profile.
Something will jump out at you, with the cpu 100% busy when it shouldn't
be.

If not, and you have something like strace, you could run that to see what
the process is doing with all that time.

        John