Re: [Gnash-dev] -j4 forced in 'make deb'

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] -j4 forced in 'make deb'
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:43:40 -0700

On 12/14/10 09:15, strk wrote:

> So, question is: do you agree on dropping -j4 from packaging/deb.am ?
> It's line 260:

  Try asking me, I wrote that target... It's been at -j4, since I've
been the only one building packages till recently. :-) But yes, on some
machines this is a big problem, as -j4 with optimized C++ code and
templates can suck all the life out of your machine.

  What I've been doing is hand editing the deb.am file on the slaves to
be different levels, or off completely on the MIPS and ARM. The other
issue is the source tarball. If all the slaves build debs at the same
time, I get problems adding them to our repository, as the versions are
the same, so it conflicts. Maybe I have something setup wrong, it's
entirely possible.

  As I've been building packages solo for quite a while, I've never
bothered to fix the flags to dpkg-buildpackage to be fully portable.
Guess we should now.

  So anyway, I have no real opinion on which flags we use, as I can
always continue hand editing it on my slaves. So we should pick
something that works with the other buildbot slaves so we don't kill
them... I also often just run "make snapshot-src setup-deb", and then cd
to the dir and run dpkg-buildpackage by hand.