[Gnash-dev] Localization collaboration proposal

From: Chris Leonard
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Localization collaboration proposal
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 16:24:31 -0400

Dear Gnash-devs,

How would you feel about having a copy of your UI PO files hosted on the Sugar Labs / OLPC / eToys Pootle server?

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/

It would not be the official copy, of course, that would remain in your Savannah repo (http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnash.git;a=tree;f=po); but it would be a convenince to our substantial localization group (over 1800 localizers working on over 100 languages/dialects) and could be used by your folks as an improved collaboration platform for L10n.

I've noticed that Gnash has relatively few languages (<10) and fairly low completion levels.  I believe we can improve on that if we host a copy of your PO files on our Pootle server. This is important to us as a downstream that ships Gnash as part of our builds.  I anticipate more L10n activity to come from hosting it on our Pootle server than by simply pointing people to work on your unhosted L10n (mailing list) workflow; however, we would not look to have the same repo commit linking that we establish for projects in our git repo.  There would still be a manual process of upstream submission and commit after the PO was finalized.  Our Pootle server would merely serve as a collaborative tool for finding and completing the PO.

cjl
volunteer Sugar Labs / OLPC / eToys Pootle admin