Re: [Gnash-dev] 8.9.10 in time for ubuntu 11.10 ?

From: Chris Leonard
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] 8.9.10 in time for ubuntu 11.10 ?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:59:39 -0400

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Rob Savoye <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 09/11/11 22:04, Micah Gersten wrote:
>
>> Well, final freeze is Sept 29. However, we could still probably get it
>> in sometime the following week.  As always, earlier is better here,
>> since it's at the discretion of the release team (of which I am not a
>
>  That might not be enough time, usually our release process takes
> several weeks at best. If some developers feel strongly about trying to
> make a release by this date, we'd need some action on bug fixing. If we
> made good progress on that then we could potentially crank out a release
> by then.

I just double checked the 2.9 POT file.  There hasn't been a change in
string or word count from the most recent update (Revision 30059) in
July even though the current revision is 30318, although I'll dig in
more closely to see if there were string changes not reflected in
counts.

I would comment that the change to Revision 30059 (the currently
posted  abiword.2.9.dev.po file hosted on Pootle) did introduce a
number of new strings and that not every language has caught up to
100% completion.

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/upstream_POT/

If there are plans for a quick release of 2.9, I would advise
declaring a "string freeze" ASAP to allow the localizers to catch up.
I would also encourage everyone interested in AbiWord that has any
second language skills to examine their PO files on Pootle and make
corrections there so that the 2.9 release L10n could be based on those
collaboratively edited PO files.

I know for a fact that I made some printf corrections on a number of
languages (print errors are unfortunately common and very important to
correct) that have not been submitted.  I also know that there are a
good number of fuzzy entries in languages that need correction from
the version-to-version automangling that can happen in string
migration.

I would be happy to call on the Sugar Translation teams to make a
special effort on the abiword strings.  Sugar Labs core projects
(Glucose / Fructose) are currently in a string freeze and trying to
complete our PO files for an upcoming release of Sugar 0.94 in the end
of September, so I'm not sure of the timing is good (localizers
logging in to Pootle anyway) or bad (localizers prioritizing the long
announced Sugar string freeze) or an AbiWord L10n effort from our
existing teams.

Just another point to weigh in the release decision-making process.

Warmest Regards,

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator