Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash Temporary Files

From: Sandro Santilli
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash Temporary Files
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:02:33 +0200

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 10:55:36PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> >Theoretically, documentation about gnashpluginrc would be here:
> >http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/manual/gnashuser.html#gnashrc
> ...but apparently not, as I already searched through there.  No
> .gnashpluginrc mention, and no mention of any of the environment variables
> about which I was told in the earlier exchange.

I know. It's not in the current development version of the manual either.
That's why I asked for contribution. A section on environment variables
is completely missing, and the runtime configuration section misses some
options.

> Sadly, I find no gnash player in my Ubuntu main menu, and when I right click
> on a flash file and select the gnash player from the "open with other
> program" option, nothing happens...

While playing a flash movie with gnash you can right-click on the playing
area to access the Gnash menu. Gnash reads ~/.gnashrc when started standalone
and also ~/.gnashpluginrc when started as a plugin. This is by default.
When updating settings trought the GUI, only the last parsed rcfile will
be saved, which is again ~/.gnashrc when started standalone, ~/.gnashpluginrc
when started by the plugin. Again, this is the default.

You can push rcfiles to read using the GNASHRC environment variable.

> Does gnash read the gnashpluginrc file every time Firefox runs, or only when
> the plugin is first installed (in which case, to make a change to the file
> would mean uninstalling/reinstalling the plugin)?

On every invokation. Will re-read on browser page reload.