Re: [Gnash-dev] release ?

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] release ?
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 08:43:15 -0700

On 12/31/11 08:25, Chris Leonard wrote:

> Given the current (limited) state of L10n and the short timeline, we
> need to start somewhere.  I created a draft reduced-gnash.pot.  I have
> included all UI strings derived from the code in the conveniently
> named GUI directory in the Gnash source repository.

  Personally, I appreciate any translations that can be done, even if
incomplete. I do think us developers should go through the files we've
worked on and make things log_error sometimes, log_debug translated, or
log_debug don't translate. But maybe that won't happen by the release. I
will go through gui, libdevice, and librender this weekend and do that.
I also think many log_unimpl messages probably should be translated, so
those often will explain why a file won't play correctly.

> This has  1542 words in 321 strings.  This is about 3-5 "mythical"
> localizer days of work at common rates of L10n.  Can we agree to start
> here?  The full gnash.po is also available in parallel, so nothing
> stops a localizer or team from getting ambitious.  I will handle the
> merging of the reduced into the full PO for the build process, as well
> as reviewing for common build-breaking L10n errors (printf, terminal
> newline mismatch, etc.).

  You can start at whatever point you are comfortable with. :-) I
realize that the much larger file could be intimidating, so that's a
good long term goal. Short term, do whatever you feel is appropriate for
the translators. I wish I could help, but I'm basically stuck as an
English only speaker.