Re: [Gnash-dev] NetConnection And NetStream

From: George Thomas
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] NetConnection And NetStream
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 03:07:33 +0530

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Sandro Santilli <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 08:48:47PM +0530, George Thomas wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 1:22 AM, Sandro Santilli <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 12:07:25AM +0530, George Thomas wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The TODO list in Gnash specifies partially implemented NetConnection and
> > > NetStream classes in Gnash.
> > > I understood these classes to be the NetConnection and NetStream classes
> > in
> > > (libcore/asobj)
> > >
> > > Could someone let me know what is to be done to get these classes
> > complete.
> >
> > You can see NetConnection.as and NetStream.as in
> > testsuite/actionscript.all/
> > Known failures are encoded with xcheck and xcheck_equals.
> > If you handle to fix the code you'll get XPASS lines when you run
> > the resulting *.swf files with gprocessor or gnash -v.
> >

> xcheck and xcheck_equals are absent in NetConnection.as
> Does this mean NetConnection is complete ?

It probably means the file needs more tests :)

> Found only a line  with xfail in this. Is this ok to be a failure or should
> this be fixed ?
>
> // test the NetConnection::connect method
>
> if ( ! tmp.connect("rtmp://
> www.mediacollege.com/flash/media-player/testclip-4sec.flv") )
>
> {
>         // FIXME: this would fail in the reference player too...
>
>         xfail("NetConnection::connect() didn't initialize correctly");

I think that failure is due to cross-domain configuration.
If you know of a way to make that succeed with the proprietary player
it'll be worth updating the testcase. We should NOT expect to behave
in a different way from the reference player.

In any case note that RTMP support is NOT implemented in Gnash.
It's not minor work, but you're welcome if you want to give it a try.

This was one thing me and a friend of mine attempted 3 years back (email-id was different then) when we were in college. I would certainly love to try and get on it right again.

Would love to know where to and how to start again on it.

> I was able to find a lot of opportunities (xchecks) in NetStream.as

I think it's easier to start there.

I have attached a patch which looks to be converting the xchecks to xpasses.

Case before

7276:1] 474 TRACE: #passed: 38
7276:1] 477 TRACE: #failed: 0
7276:1] 480 TRACE: #expected failures: 22
7276:1] 483 TRACE: #total tests run: 60

After applying patch
11916:1] 433 TRACE: #passed: 38
11916:1] 433 TRACE: #failed: 0
11916:1] 434 TRACE: #unexpected successes: 22
11916:1] 435 TRACE: #total tests run: 60

Changelog For the patch if found fair :

2013-02-23  George Thomas <address@hidden>

        * libcore/asobj/NetStream_as.cpp:
        * Added the handler for prototype in NetStream class
        * Removed class specific initialisation of properties.

PS : Hope this place is Ok to send the patch.