Re: [Gnash-dev] After upgrading to Firefox 24, YouTube videos never load

From: Sandro Santilli
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] After upgrading to Firefox 24, YouTube videos never load
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 19:36:24 +0100

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 12:14:27PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:

> I have a lot of curiosity, I guess...]

That's highly welcome

> 1.  Are the Media-Handlers actually PART of gnash, or just something that
> gnash links to when needed?

They are parts of gnash ( compiled in when enabled at build time )
that use external libraries to do their work.

> If gnash merely links to the Media-Handler ffmpeg (there is a program ffmpeg,
> which one assumes is related to the Media-Handler - perhaps part of the same
> pkg. - I use WinFF, which is a gui that calls ffmpeg, the program) might
> itself have changed, introducing some sort of bug of its own.

ffmpeg, the program, uses these two libraries libavcodec and libavfomat
which possibly also use other libraries for specific codecs like libspeex
and others. Any change in any library may break something.

> If the Media-Handlers ffmpeg and gst are part of gnash, then perhaps gnash
> has a bug in ffmpeg, that only became apparent when YouTube changed something
> in the way it reacts to it...

This is also possible.

> 2.  What could the ffmpeg Media-Handler be waiting for, when it spins its
> wheels (endless circling dots: supposedly loading something...)?

I think it waits for the "media parser buffer" to fill up.
If the parser stops parsing or decoding for whatever reason
it'll never get there. Hopefully in this circumstance the parser/decoder
would write something in the logfile (or stdout) when verbosity is > 0.

You need to run gnash from the commandline with -v switch (up to 3 of them :)