Re: [Gnash-dev] Using style to keep consistent indentation in Gnash sour

From: Petter Reinholdtsen
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Using style to keep consistent indentation in Gnash source?
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 10:51:00 +0200

[John Gilmore]
> I'm sorry if it isn't formatted to your favorite style.  Or even if
> every part of gnash is not formatted to its *own* documented style.
> If you want to put your energy into picking nits out of gnash, please
> find a real bug and fix it.  There are many reported.
>
> Please don't mess with the formatting of a section of code unless you
> are actually rewriting that chunk of code.

Yes, I am aware of all these disadvantages.  And they are significant.
But did you read for example the testsuite code yourself?  The current
inconsistent formatting make it harder than usual to understand and
modify it.  Se for example testsuite/misc-ming.all/attachMovieTest.c
for a small example.  Code like this make me suspect that the
advantage of reflowing the code might be bigger than the
disadvantages.  The problem is biggest in the test suite, as the rest
of the code normally uses one coding style per file or directory, at
lest.

I do not care what formatting is used, but having 4-5 different
formatting and indentation styles in the same function is making the
code hard to read.  Picking one and allowing software to help us
enforce it would be an advantage, I believe.  At least for the test
suite code.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen