Re: [Gnash-dev] What remains to get re-entrant VM?

From: Sandro Santilli
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] What remains to get re-entrant VM?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 11:11:46 +0100

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 03:31:52PM -0700, Richard Wilbur wrote:
> My understanding of the roadblocks in the way of supporting AVM2 was
> that a major one was re-entrance of the VM.
>
> Has that been achieved?

I think it was achieved, althought there's no automated testcase
nor usage pattern showing it clearly. An example of such usage
would be the implementation of a windowed NPAPI plugin which would
also solve many navigation issues. A simpler one would be allowing
the specification of multiple input files from the commandline and
playing them all at once (or serially, with an option).

> If not, what remains?

To be honest I don't remember VM re-entrancy being a requirement
for AVM2. Was probably mentioned as a requirement for the windowless
plugin (to avoid having to spawn a new process for each page object).

> (I'd love to be able to run lumosity.com, among other things, under
> gnash.  I'm willing to bend coding effort, et cetera, in that
> direction if I can be of assistance.)

For AVM2 (if that's required for lumosity.com) you could start
by looking at lightspark, which does _only_ AVM2 and supports
Gnash as a fallback for AVM1 apps. Making lightspark embeddable
in Gnash could also be an interesting idea, to do the reverse.