Re: [Gnash-dev] What remains to get re-entrant VM?

From: Sandro Santilli
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] What remains to get re-entrant VM?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 18:22:38 +0100

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 09:48:35AM -0700, Richard Wilbur wrote:

> 1.  So how is a "windowed NPAPI plugin" different from the current
> Firefox plugin?
> 2.  What API does the current Firefox plugin implement?
> 3.  How does a "windowed NPAPI plugin" relate to the "windowless mode
> plugin" you proposed back in 2011?

Sorry, I really meant a "windowless mode plugin", same as the 2011 one.
Current one is "windowed".

> 4.  I found a description of NPAPI[5], what other documentation would
> you recommend I look at?

This seems to be a good starting point:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Plugins/Gecko_Plugin_API_Reference/Plug-in_Basics#Windowed_and_Windowless_Plug-ins

> Should I use several existing swf files that already have tests and
> rig it up to run simultaneously (or serially, with an option)?

Why not...  It would be nice to see if that could speed up running the
testsuite, on a multicore machine.

> I guess I'll try using lightspark to access sites that require AVM2
> support and see how well they fare on lightspark.  Then, if there is
> sufficient merit, I could look at what lightspark did to implement
> AVM2 with an eye to implementing the same functionality in gnash.

Looking forward to see your contributions !