Re: [Gnash] Gnash missing opcodes

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash missing opcodes
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 12:42:48 -0700

Jon-Erling Dahl wrote:

I tried gnash today and it looks very promising. There are a few flash
files that won't work however and I think it might be because of the
missing opcode implementations. I checked the code and noticed that the
following opcodes are not implemented:

Currently Gnash isn't complete, it's merely the most advanced of the few free flash players that exist. Many scripts don't use these opcodes, which is why they've kindof dropped to the bottom of the priority list. There are plans to implement all of them, and most of these I don't believe will be hard to implement. Gnash wasn't originally created to play all Flash movies, it was to only be a game engine for custom Flash movies. Now the focus is to make a general purpose player, so implementing these is part of the plan.

Do you have a roadmap of when these will be implemented?
Roughly, how hard do you think it is to implement this?

Gnash in it's current form is a new project less than a few weeks old, so I don't have a roadmap yet. I'm still getting things setup and kicked off. Once I get the plugin minimally working, I'd like to draw up a roadmap after evaluating what needs to be done. As Gnash gains more developers, it may be that somebody else can knock these off while I work on other issues.

Your list of opcodes is very useful, and the kind of thing that helps us scope out what does need to be done so we can make a plan to get it accomplished.

        - rob -