[Gnash] test cases

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: [Gnash] test cases
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 11:21:16 -0700

I just created a gnash/testsuite/actionscript.all directory for ActionScript test cases. Hopefully these can all be generated using Ming or other free tools. My thought for test cases structure is to have a single file exercise a single ActionScript class. Ideally all of the methods can be exercised from within this test file.

For now we'll have to run each test case by hand with the standalone player, and determine the test outcome by human eye. Once I get a chance, I'll wrap the test cases so they execute under DejaGnu in an automated fashion. That'll take some work, since ultimately it'll be necessary to grab the window and examine it's contents. My current experiment does two things. One, it just analyzes the debug output from the standalone playing using the -vp and -va options. This is crude, but better than nothing. For the next step, I'm experimenting with using autotrace to render the window bitmap to a DXF file, which I can then walk through and see if all the proper graphic elements are the right size, and in the right place.

As neither of these can test events, like clicking a mouse on a rendered button, last I'll see about using a headless X display or X remote control program.

At this point though, it'll be good to start collecting and creating test cases, since it'll still help make sure Gnash is operating correctly.

For whole movies, I'm sticking some for testing in the gnash/testsuite/movies.all directory. These are probably too complex for automated testing, but all illustrate something Gnash is or isn't parsing and rendering correctly. Plus they'll make useful demos.

        - rob -