Re: [Gnash] Gnash speed and free software

From: kfs1
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash speed and free software
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 20:55:06 +0200

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:59:06 +0200, Rob Savoye <address@hidden> wrote:

Timo Jyrinki wrote:
I tried Gnash and it's good to have such a nice tool.
One cons: as it was already reported, it is really slow. I read that
it is recommended to get a 3D card to cope with that.

However these days, all the 3D cards out there require proprietary
drivers to be useful in this regard.
The situation is not that sad, even though it's problematic at the moment.

The main reason to develop a Cairo (or other 2D backend) is for speed, as well as a smaller footprint for embedded devices. I'm currently stuck running without any hardware acceleration (ATI cards suck...), and on a P4, it's ok, but definitely slow. Right now the Cairo backend isn't fully functional, but could be if somebody felt like focusing on this task.

I was reading about the performance of cairo on http://www.xaraxtreme.org/about/performance.html versus xara's. The thing I don't understand is why this code isn't ported into cairo now that xara is opensource so that that too will benefit from the, well, opensourcing.

Now i'm not a programmer but maybe one of you could do it? Wouldn't this almost solve the speed problem?

just asking.

Thanks.