Re[2]: [Gnash] Gnash cannot legally play animations created with MM tool

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash] Gnash cannot legally play animations created with MM tools?
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 11:33:17 +0100

Hello Rob,

Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 5:17:16 AM, you wrote:
RS>  Most people up on this subject interpret the EULA as you can't
RS> *work on* Flash technologies like Gnash.

Can you explain this further? What means "work on Flash technologies"?

Anyway, I can't find any paragraph in my Flash 8 Prof. Licence that
prohibits me to play any content created with it using a non-Adobe
software (I read all paragraphs except warranty and such).

There is only one interesting statement:
"You shall not use the Software to develop any product having the same
primary function as the Software."

In my understanding this has nothing to do with Gnash as the primary
function of the Software is *creating* Flash content.

RS> That's why none of the Gnash developers use the commercial Flash
RS> tools at all. There is zero way a license we've never agreed to
RS> effects us at all.

Untrue. I *do* use and have buyed the IDE. Why shouldn't I? After all
our (our company's) goal is to use Gnash as an player for embedded
devices. The player is GPL'ed so our contributions become open source
too, fine! But of course we want to play closed-source software using
Gnash (which in my understanding of the GPL terms is okay). And, this
content will be developed using Adobe's tools, of course.

RS>   More reasons to have a truly free Flash player...

Agree. BTW, we *tried* to get a commercial licence for the embedded
Flash player, which would also have been a reason to switch the device
processor to something Flash-supported. But it appears you simply can
forget about that unless you plan to ship 100,000 devices... As we
develop custom software for devices in low volumes (after all the
short development time for Flash content is so attractive for us) we
can't afford that.

Udo