Re: [Gnash] Fw: Linux.com: Swfdec Officially Adds Flash 7 Video Support

From: Martin Guy
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Fw: Linux.com: Swfdec Officially Adds Flash 7 Video Support (But Not 8 or 9)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 05:50:58 -0500

2007/3/27, Gerald Britton <address@hidden>:
Has anyone got a comparison of gnash vs swfdec?  Do they both do much
the same thing?
Is one more feature-complete (besides swf videos, that is)?

Gnash has 3 GUIs, 3 alternative renderers, verbose SWF/ActionScript
syntax checking, a flash movie execution debugger that hooks up to
gdb... it's a lot more than a flash player, for better or worse.

Of the renderers, opengl and cairo use video hardware accelleration if
it's present, while agg is entirely a fast software renderer and
currently gives the best results)

Gnash pretty much works. What it seems to be lacking is the completion
and conformity of the base ActionScript classes. Any volunteers? :)

Being able to add your own extensions to ActionScript, e.g. to control
the specific hardware of a set-top box or the buttons of an HDTV set,
is interesting - we assume the other players will do this too, it's
not hard... do we have a standard for the flash plugin interface, and
is it sufficiently gnash implementation-independent for the same
plugins to work with all the other players?