Re: [Gnash] Re: [Gnash-dev] Fwd: [backstage] BBC Trust won't probe iPlay

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Re: [Gnash-dev] Fwd: [backstage] BBC Trust won't probe iPlayer open source gripes
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 09:05:53 +0100

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 04:28:47PM -0500, Cory Fields wrote:

> > "XBMC could easily be modified in a way that would allow playback of
> > the streams, though it could never be included in the official
> > binaries due to the wretched DMCA."
> > - http://xbmc.org/theuni/2010/02/25/xbmc-and-the-bbc/
>
> Yep, there's the rub. Rob, have you given much thought to the SWFAuth issue?

What I understood (but may be wrong) is that the auth issue is basically
an hash of the SWF bytes chained with a string (Adobe player signature).
If this is confirmed, simply keeping out the "player signature" might
be enough not to be breaking any DRM, and could still allow users
to enter that signature the way they want. Doing so would allow protecting
content NOT based on which player is in use, but rather based on a "key"
that publishers could distribute among rightful content targets.

Example: BBC could distribute the key to UK tax payers, RAI could do with
IT tax payers and so on.

That'd be proper *rights* management.

--strk;