[Gnewsense-dev] gNewSense/MIPS netboot installer available

From: Robert Millan
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] gNewSense/MIPS netboot installer available
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 02:04:27 +0100

Hi,

A netboot installer of gNewSense/MIPS is available now:

  http://aybabtu.com/rmh/gnewsense-mips/netboot/

Instructions:

  - Put vmlinux and initrd.gz in a USB image (in the example I used ext2)

  - Get to pmon2000 prompt and type:

      load /dev/fs/address@hidden/vmlinux
      initrd /dev/fs/address@hidden/initrd.gz
      g console=tty no_auto_cmd

  - Follow installation process in D-I.

  - Once finished, your system can be boot with:

      load /dev/fs/address@hidden/boot/vmlinux-2.6.27.1-yeeloong
      g console=tty no_auto_cmd root=/dev/hda3

    (assuming you installed to third partition of the internal
    disk, otherwise you'll have to change wd0c and hda3)

    And you can make this the default by setting "al" and "karg"
    variables.

Done:

  - Disable question about enabling contrib or non-free to the
    user, even when in expert mode.

  - Hacked installer into using linux-image packages other than the
    ones in the main mirror.

Pending:

  - Use a mirror which doesn't include non-free packages in main
    (requested to FSF admins, WIP).

  - Apply gNewSense branding.

  - Rebuild the linux-image package for yeeloong, this time with
    deblobification and using a more generic build framework
    (working on that already).

--
Robert Millan