Re: [Gnewsense-dev] c

From: Oliver Heard
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] c
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 14:00:23 +0100

Hello Elias,

Just a note regarding netbooks. I've recently been in contact with
System76 and their Starling netbook should run gNewSense with minimal
issues. If you were to purchase one it would be useful to hear reports
on how gNewSense runs on the machine (same goes for any machine).

If you don't have the forwarded emails from System76 in your inbox,
you can find them here
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-dev/2009-06/msg00066.html>.

Additionally the Lemote Yeeloong netbooks come with fully free
software (including BIOS), reports from users in #gnewsense-dev on
freenode have been somewhat positive. The machines use a MIPS
processor, rather than x86/x86_64, gNewSense should run on this arch
in the future (I think it is being actively worked on, but don't take
my word for it).

Games are something the free software community is lacking, so I would
be interested in this. I started a GPL 3D game engine some months ago,
although I haven't done much work on it in a long time. You may find
the sources useful <http://github.com/oheard/orion> although it is
written in C++, not C and is still in its infancy. The bulk of the
code is related to abstracting 3D rendering from various OSs and
backends, but I warn you it is hugely incomplete... Still, you may
find it of interest.

Regards,
Oliver