Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Kernel on Yeeloong and initrd

From: aurelien
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Kernel on Yeeloong and initrd
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 08:40:02 +0200

On dim, 2009-08-02 at 09:30 +0900, Ziro wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I tried to apt-get upgrade the kernel from version
> 2.6.27.7-libre-10.00.Custom to 2.6.27.7-libre-10.00.Custom on Yeeloong,
> the installation script said that version of the kernel does not work
> without initrd and I need to install a bootloader.
>
> Currently I run the old version of the kernel on Yeeloong without
> initrd although the package provides an initrd, because booting from
> PMON via the variable `al' does not seem to support initrd loading (I
> cannot use boot.cfg because I made the first partition of the internal
> hard disk a swap partition by mistake.)
>
> Does the new kernel really fail to work without initrd?
>
> Thanks,

Hello Ziro,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initrd

Better than what i can say.
I saw it as a link between your kernel and boot.

That's why i'm not totaly agree with http://aligunduz.org/gNewSense/ in
his approach of the install help. Because if you've got scsci hard drive
under xfs format you must use Lilo, and his "good recipe" (because
instead what i will say after this line, is a very good and easy recipe)
will not work for the line :

fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-custom kernel_image
kernel_headers

just for example ... under Slackware line we can compare with is :

cd /boot
mkinitrd -c -k (kernel version) -m (format partition)
cd /
lilo

I hope i don't make to much mistake (or enormus one)

aurelien