Re: [Gnewsense-dev] b43 kernel module suggests installation of proprieta

From: Patrik Lembke
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] b43 kernel module suggests installation of proprietary firmware
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 12:28:47 +0200

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 18:02:24 +0930 Karl Goetz <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all, could someone with a badcom card please try and reproduce this
> bug[1]?
>
> What I'm hoping to know is;
> - Does it happen to you
> - what kernel module is causing the message
>
> [1] http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00308
> kk

Yes It did until I added the free firmware.

It is a message stored in /drivers/net/wireless/b43/main.c (in 2.6.28.1
row 1998)

KFV link
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/Ubuntu-hardy-linux-2-6-24-12-22--drivers--net--wireless--b43

A patch for the later kernels who can use the free (2.6.28 looks like
it can) could be to just replace this with something nicer telling the
user how to install the OpenFWWF firmware.

 text = "You must install the openfwwf firmware, instructions can be
 found at NiceGnewsenseWikiPage\n";

And it do look quite possible to patch the module so It won't be able to
load the non-free firmware.

Just replacing what is said in main.c:2302 inside that else with
something similar to:

 b43err( dev->wl, "Sorry the firmware your trying to use is not
 supported since it's non-free\n" );
 goto error;

--
Patrik Lembke