Re: [Gnewsense-dev] homemade linux-libre kernel repo

From: Ali Gunduz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] homemade linux-libre kernel repo
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:06:22 +0300

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 4:45 AM, Karl Goetz<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:40:50 +0000
> Elias Angulo <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> Well, i think it have some advantages, as it can be updatet
>> automatically by the system.. I will have the repo uptodate as soon
>> new versions come. People with my repo enabled in his sources.list
>> will only have to do:
>>
>> sudo apt-get update
>> sudo apt-get upgrade
>>
>> and if they have a previous version of linux-libre kernel all will be
>> Ok right?
>>
>> I think its better than checking http://aligunduz.org/gNewSense/ each
>> time a new kernell appears. I have fixed the 'source downloading
>> issue' in some way, you can download the source as a normal .deb
>> package, with apt-get install instead of apt-get source.
>>

> I see.
> Either way, I think you should approach ali and tell him about it.

Don't worry, I'm always a silent observer around this list :)

> if you'd done so before hand you would have had a chance to work together
> on it ....
> kk

I used to maintain an apt repo for the free kernels, but stopped doing
so after a while. Installing latest kernels on such a distro like gNS
with a rather older collection of programs sometimes causes problems.
(I remember X malfunctioning after one of the releases on some
people's machines.) So, having people's kernels automatically
upgrading is, in my opinion, prone to a great number of user problems
that don't have to happen. And if you think freedom shoppe kernels are
also used by users of other distros such as Ubuntu and Debian, the
potential of user complaints just looks to big for me.

Feel free to share your experience with kernel repo maintanence, Elias :)

Ali