Re: [Gnewsense-dev] can anyone build grub mipsel?

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] can anyone build grub mipsel?
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:38:15 +0100

Karl Goetz schreef:
hi all,
I'm trying to build a  grub packages (again....) and its getting to a
mawk stage and bombing out (sits there forever). can someone else try
and build grub from bzr or the archive and see if it succeeds?

Just to make it clear: the idea is to get rid of our own version of grub and use something from upstream. [1]

Things I tried:
- Build grub-0.97 from the source in the archive. This was irrelevant because we want grub2, not legacy grub. Anyway, first it said that the CPU is not supported. I added mipsel as a valid host_cpu to configure.ac. That made configure run a bit further, until it says "GRUB requires a working absolute objcopy; upgrade your binutils"

- Build grub2-1.96 from the source in the archive. That stops with:
make: Nothing to be done for 'build'.
make: Nothing to be done for 'binary'.

- Build grub1-1.98 from the source in Debian sid. Just 'dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us' complains "Unmet build dependencies: gcc-4.4". 'dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us -d' stops later with:
checking for gcc... gcc-4.4
checking whether the C compiler works... no

- Build grub from bzr trunk. That seems to work. It showed 1 error at the end about texinfo, but it also said "Ignored". No complaints about gcc. Running make again said "nothing to be done" without errors. I was not feeling so adventurous as to actually install it.

[1] https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?28931